- Administration of the Local Planning and Building Committee (permits and construction supervision).
- Initiating and promoting urban planning issues: strategic planning and urban planning.
- Planning and execution of infrastructure and public works projects.
- Planning and construction of open spaces in the city.
- Preparing urban development plans and developing new neighborhoods.
- Promoting private and public construction initiatives.
- Ongoing maintenance of infrastructure and roads.
- Manage the city’s transportation and traffic system.
- Manage and maintain computerized municipal databases.
The department’s goal is to promote sustainable development of the city with an emphasis on quality of life, modern infrastructure, and preservation of natural and landscape values.
The City Engineer is assisted by the City Architect, the Head of the Planning Department and the Head of the Infrastructure Department.